Trees have been removed from the front of Troy Regional Medical Center and the building has received a fresh coat of paint as part of outward improvements that reflect changes inside TRMC.

Troy Regional undergoes reflective cosmetic changes

Published 11:01pm Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The change is noticeable.

And Troy Regional Medical Center officials hope the community takes note that the cosmetic improvements to the outside of the local hospital are only a reflection of what has been going on inside the hospital.

“This is part of our strategic plan,” said TRMC CEO Teresa Grimes. “As we develop our inside, we are also taking care of the outside.”

Internally, the hospital has been focused on creating customer satisfaction responses that are positive. The hospital has also reached 100 percent of core measures.

So far, some of the big changes outside include a fresh coat of paint and the removal of trees in front of the hospital. It’s the trees, though, that have prompted the most phone calls to the hospital regarding the new look of TRMC.

“The trees are a very important part of our history because they were donated in honor or in memory of someone,” Grimes said.

However, the trees were a type of pear tree that only has a life expectancy of about 15 years. Trunks were splitting and the trees that had previously been removed caused a safety issue because of the stumps that remained, Grimes explained.

And while the trees planted in memory of loved ones are now gone, the plaques that once marked the trees will find a new purpose. They will be moved near the walkway to the entrance of the hospital where a resting garden with benches and landscaping will be provided for hospital visitors and employees.

“We will have a dedication service for all those families in the community,” Grimes said.

Still to come – the flag in front of the building will be moved to provide greater accessibility for wheelchairs and all guests and a new awning will feature a logo that has yet to be revealed.

Grimes said the hospital is on a journey to transform from “good to great” and part of that movement is instilling a sense of pride, both for employees and the community.

“TRMC has a long history,” Grimes said. “There have been a lot of ups and downs, but we have employees who have persevered and have a dedication to Troy.

“They are so committed and I want to the community to see that and know that.”

• Hornets

Now…if they will do a clean-up with the doctors. If you go in there having a heart attack you’ll come out with indigestion, and guess where you’ll end up at…the funeral home.But they are good using band-aids

• alabamapride87

What they also need to focus on is cleaning the inside and making it look better also. My husband was admitted earlier this year and there was dust everywhere and looked like mold growing in a pocket sliding door. It was filthy..

• gotroygo

I am happy that we have a hospital. I gave birth to my child there and have had a few surgies there and so has members of my family. I have always been well taken care of :)

• Mook

I agree the focus should be on the inside on the staff, including the doctors. There are doctors there that does not have any bedside manners. I think if you’re coming to a place for help and you have to spend “HOURS” there waiting for service at least you should be able to get some bedside manners and the ER is soooooo slow it’s just unreal. I have lived in Pike County all my life and “our” hospital has really gone down. so start inside first!!!! And honestly the outside is not looking all that great to me, however i know i haven’t seen the finishing touch yet but so far the hosptial now looks like a glooming prison. Don’t mean to be negative because like i said it my hosptial as well but i hope it will have some color or something that makes it look more inviting.

• flipside

Sometimes it is so easy to see the negatives before the positives. I see any improvements as a positive. We only need things when we truly need them….I appreciate the facility and all who have worked hard to keep it open for the people of our county.

• Hornets

well you haven’t been to the ER lately…those doctors don’t care. Why would they care, half of them don’t even live in Troy. They are only there for the pay check.patch you up and hollar NEXT!!! I had one doctor who told me he drives down from Montgomery do a what he can do(wich is very little) and he’s back heading up 231. He only there until he can find something closer.

• David M. Smith

They have improved the inside as well, its on the wing that is blocked off and will be doing more work here soon. We all complain when things are not good and we all complain when the improvements are something we don’t like. The Doctors are much improved; some do live in Troy, and aren’t we all at our jobs for a pay check? But, more importantly they are here to serve the community and that is what they do. I believe we all remember when the hospital was on the verge of closing and now its flourishing and trying to become a vital part of the Troy Community. I believe support should be given to something that is trying to improve itself rather than complain about trees being cut down and a paint job.

• Mook

If you want an honest opinion about the hospital inside and out…..that’s mine and it is just my opinion. I’m very grateful to have a hospital in this county. it’s just “some” of the staff and “some” of the doctors that could use some improving when it comes to serving the community. We do all work for pay checks but let us earn them especially when people lives are in your hand. I just think it wouldn’t take much to improve with the staff nor doctors if they would treat the people who come in that needs help like they would like for their love ones to be treated by any other hospital, doctor’s officer, etc.

• 2cents

I think we should tear it down, and rebuild. If you have lived in this community for any amount of time, you know the negative stigma that hospital has. I get the creeps going in there. Reminds me of a morgue in a large city. But if we did rebuild, our taxes would go up god knows how much. For the same sub par care.

• YouSeriousClark

We delivered our two kids in a Montgomery hospital because Troy did not offer OB care. The larger hospitals have 1 goal and 1 goal only, get as many in and back out the door as fast as possible. No one-on-one attention, it’s all about the dollar. We have had multiple visits to TRMC, ER, surgery, blood work and a 3 night stay. Every single time, the staff at TRMC has gone above and beyond to take care of us. These people care about you the patient and the welfare of you and your family. I don’t care how it looks cosmetically, I will go there anytime I need something and if they think I need to be transferred, I will go where they recommend and become just another number in a bed. Keep up the good work TRMC administration!

• 2cents

I went to TRMC for extreme leg pain and what I thought was a bite or infection on my leg. I was given a shot of antibiotics and told to go see a primary care doctor the next day. Thank god I got a second opinion that day, because I almost lost part of my leg and foot to a BROWN RECLUSE BITE! So yeah, that is top of the line care, right?

• WYSIWYG

I have had a few experiences with TRMC. I will have to say that I have seen nothing but care. This is not a level 4 trauma center like UAB. If they transfer, it is for the good of the patient. I have been from billing to surgery and have no complaints. The surgical unit is the best there is around here. When you walk down the halls, people ask if they can help you. That is what you call trying and is much respected from me. The only thing I wish they would do is paint it Red and Black. I know there is one doctor there who has been there for years and they just do not get any better than him.

• buddy28

I work at a Montgomery hospital and we get a lot of troy citizens. And I am from troy… Everybody that comes I ask why they didnt go to troy hospital they say they are scared and its the edge of death. Since they painted it the citizens of troy say it looks like a mental institution… I think troy university need to take over since they are known for nursing program the students can go over their for clinical… But instead they are at the hospital I work at and the other surrounding hospitals.I think if university took over it should be the color of the university that means red bricks.. A hospital has to look appealing on outside as well on inside thats one thing patients look at trust me I know I work with patients

• buddy28

Back when I was little troy hospital was it…. The parking lot would b full of cars…. Inside the hospital on 2nd floor was full with patients ICU had patients and labor and delivery had patients me and my siblings would go to third floor to look at the babies….hallways you meet people in passing… People had lot of visitors… Now u go in there its dead… You don’t see all that anymore. The hospital can be revived again it has 3 floors its not like its small like Greenville and bullock county hospital. And plus the city is growing…we should not have to drive out of town to go to a hospital for care.