Work to be done on Elm Street is expected to be let in February. Repairs to the road and a revamped bridge culvert area are on tap as part of the work made possible by Alabama Transportation Rahabilitation and Improvement Plan.

ROUGH ROAD

Published 11:00pm Thursday, September 12, 2013

Construction could begin in spring

Federal funding has been awarded to Pike County for much needed repairs on Elm Street, but those who drive up and down the road have a little waiting to do before those repairs come to fruition.

“It’s a frustrating situation for all of us, especially for those that live there,” said Troy Mayor Jason A. Reeves. “We are going to push and hope and pray that it gets done as soon as possible.”

Alabama Transportation Rehabilitation and Improvement Program funds have been awarded to the county for work on the county-owned road. However, an estimated $1 billion in ATRIP money has been awarded for Alabama and that means the process of approvals and applications for construction is moving along slowly.

Oliver explained that clearances and approvals for projects are required from a handful of agencies, including U.S. Fish and Wildlife, the Alabama Department of Environmental Protection, the Alabama Historical Commission, the Alabama Department of Environmental Management and others.

“Getting these projects let is a complex process and each step has to be approved and worked through individually,” Oliver said. “Under normal circumstances, you are looking at a period of eight months from the time a project is initiated to the time there is any construction work done on the projects.”

That’s in a normal situation, Oliver noted. However, ATRIP is federal money administrated through ALDOT and that means red tape.

“This is the largest road building program in the history of the state,” Oliver said. “We are talking historical proportions, upwards of $1 billion. [ALDOT’s] workload has been drastically increased.”

Oliver and Reeves both said they hope the Elm Street project will be let in February, but it could be the late spring of 2014 before construction starts.

“I can sympathize and empathize with people who have to use Elm Street because I live out there, myself,” Oliver said. “My family and I drive through that every day. We understand people’s frustration.

“Everyone involved is doing all they can to expedite this project. I can promise you that.”

The work on Elm Street includes resurfacing the road to eliminate the potholes and subsequent patches over the potholes, and also raising the area near Crow’s Pond where the road consistently floods during periods of heavy rain.

The road already needed work, according to Pike County Engineer Russell Oliver, but the situation was made worse last year by 15 dump trucks making three round-trips each from a site near Trojan Arena to a borrow pit off of Elm Street.

“They absolutely made it worse,” Oliver said. “But even if they hadn’t hauled through there, the road would still need this work.”

Oliver said, as part of the partnership between the city and county, the City of Troy is generously handling the local match required for the funding and has taken the lead on the design work that needs to happen regarding construction, including the bridge culvert on Elm Street.

“I am very thankful to the city for helping the county get these projects done,” Oliver said.

Enzor Road and Henderson Highway are also joint city-county projects that have received ATRIP funding. Those projects are expected to be let in December.

• WYSIWYG

Is this not in the city limits? Why does the county have to deal with this? This is city, not county, I guess if it was 400 yards North on Old Cabin Road, the city would handle it immediately, how many city leaders have to take this road to their house? NONE, this is why you end up getting your tires balanced each month. I think we need to repave Spradley AGAIN, to make sure it is worthy of traveling. We need to repave Murphree St. to, so we can make sure each member arrives to the chamber of power with no tire problems.

Looks to me as if the county and city are happy why aren’t you.

• WYSIWYG

WDM…I have been watching you for years now, you are nothing but a bully for sensible posts. Do you think bullying a female is a manly thing? It is funny you speak about things you know nothing about. You just speak when someone new has come in to speak on “your” board you think you own. If you own this board, your name should be Troy Messenger, otherwise, do you not think it is time you retire to the nursing home? You did not answer any of the questions that I asked, I bet you collect monkeys uh, you seem to act like one. If you do not have a contribution to my comments, then why speak at all? You are just a wanna be bully, but your not gonna bully this lady so….I hope it makes you feel good, maybe your nurse removes all the ….t your a bully, you should be proud…answer my questions big baby, instead of trying to protect your board which is protected under the 1st amendment rights.Oops, is it possible I am female and know more than you WDM? You are just a sold out tragedy, sorry, no reason to bully females, it is nice you quote words to make yourself feel good, you are the king of nothing………Have a nice day!

• 2cents

Sounds like you’re being the bully…

The only reply I will make is how would I know if you were male or female.

• wayfaroff

EPIC MELTDOWN!

Trolled without any1 trolling.

Classic.

• Observer

I thought it was reported back when Troy State was having hundreds of heavy truck-loads of dirt moved on Elm St that the damage which was foreseeable would be repaired by Troy State or the contractor. Repair does not mean throwing a patch over the foundation which has been damaged by the trucks.

• Bill_OReally

Oh come on! Do you really expect Troy State to help pay for ANYTHING?! Even if they caused most of the damage?! They gotta have money to expand that stadium again…so they can have even more empty seats when they play powerhouses like Savannah High and Texas State!

• Observer

Texas STATE – must be a rinky-dink school to still have STATE in its title.

• WYSIWYG

@wayfaroff, you are the troll. WDM and Observer have been here since this board started. I do not agree with WDM all the time because he-she does not always express their opinion but that is what this place if for. I like them, at least they contribute. You get on here like you are a 50′s civil rights activist and talk nonsense then scold me for my remarks. If WDM deems it to question me, then that is their right, to call me a troll, you are the one who lives in Colorado, you are the one trolling posts, not me. We all fuss with each other because that is what this is for but you are wayfaroff.

• WYSIWYG

@ Bill and Observer…did you see coach on WSFA tonight? He had on a Saban hat, is that not a kick to AU? He even looked better in it than Saban. It is a shame you cannot support your hometown instead of bashing them left and right. Why don’t you go ask Blakeney if he wants to play AU and UA. They will not play Troy, it is not his fault. This University is trying so hard and you both put those efforts down and you should be ashamed of it. If you would spend more time investigating the council and their nonsense and personal views for dictatorship, and ask questions as to who is where and why, and why the value of real estate in normal neighborhoods has gone up so high due to the lack of enforcement of zoning laws, you two would be doing a public service. Do you both think that a 3 bedroom house on 1st Avenue is worth 1200.00 a month rent when some commercial locations are less than this on 231? Why don’t you two effort this problem and call out the ones responsible for these laws uh? Why don’t you two ask about the promotion policies of one city department where you can score #1 but #3 gets promoted. Why don’t you ask why if you live in a trailer in Forest Acres, it would take 6-9 minutes for a fire response given this side of town is where the population is moving according to Observer in a previous article. Why do you not check out why some move up the chain quickly with less experience than many others, but do anyway with way less qualifications? You may not like me, but I am giving facts, why not check those out instead of bashing a college who is trying….and I bet one of you hold a degree from this college you are bashing. That’s what you call “whupping okrie”.

• Bill_OReally

As long as Troy State benefits, the city is going along with it. People have been complaining about the zoning laws for twenty years but the city could care less. Why? Because all of those houses are owned by slum lords who pack them with TROY STATE students.

• WYSIWYG

The road we are talking about Observer has always been rough, this is due to the pond above. This is a city issue. Go investigate why it is a few are driving around in 30,000 vehicles when there are 6-8 spares sitting on the bridge unmanned. Ask why these poor night shift officers are having to stay over and work traffic in the mornings. You two should be focused on this kinda stuff instead of bashing the only reason Troy is on the map. “Whupping my okrie”

• Bill_OReally

Speaking of Troy State…Did I miss the Messenger article about the Troy fraternity that got in trouble recently for a hazing incident? The Montgomery stations all covered it so why has there been nothing in the Messenger about it?