Football player suspended after multiple on-campus fightsPublished 9:49pm Thursday, April 11, 2013
One football player has been suspended by Troy University pending a hearing after being involved in multiple fights on campus Thursday. About half a dozen students were suspended overall.
The Messneger’s Robbyn Brooks was the first to report on the incident and the suspensions.
Here’s what we know:
- The player is a non-scholarship athlete (walk on).
- Two other players were involved in trying to break up the fight.
- The first fight occurred at the new dining hall earlier in the day. Head coach Larry Blakeney says three players were “attacked”. The second altercation happened at Alumni Hall.
- The fights stemmed from an altercation at a social event last Thursday. This is believed to have taken place on the fourth floor of the Stadium Tower.
- Blakeney says that all of the players were counseled after the first altercation and further punishment could be handed down.
HERE is the full story.
Statement from Troy University Director of Athletics John Hartwell
“Anytime there is a disturbance on campus that involves a student-athlete we take it very seriously. We have thoroughly investigated today’s disturbance and talked to officials involved with the investigation. There was one non-scholarship, football student-athlete involved, and that individual has been suspended from campus and from our team pending a university hearing. We also understand that there were other student-athletes in the vicinity who, according to officials’accounts, helped restore the peace during the disturbance.”