After a closed hearing with two jurors on Wednesday, Andre Ellis’ remains convicted of raping two women last year. A sentencing hearing has been scheduled for March 27.
After a closed hearing with two jurors on Wednesday, Andre Ellis’ remains convicted of raping two women last year. A sentencing hearing has been scheduled for March 27.

Archived Story

Guilty verdict for Andre Ellis stands after juror hearing

Published 11:00pm Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The guilty verdict for convicted rapist Andre Ellis stands.

Circuit Judge Jeff Kelley held a closed hearing with two jurors on Wednesday afternoon after they reportedly contacted the court with reservations concerning verdicts returned as part of Ellis’ rape trial, according to court documents.

As a result of the jurors’ concerns, a court order was issued on Feb. 5 to have jurors identified as No. 88 and No. 130 summoned and subpoenaed for a hearing scheduled for Feb. 27. That order was a result of the jurors contacting court personnel.

A motion filed by the District Attorney’s Office on Feb. 18 asked the judge to set aside his order due to two sworn affidavits by the jurors that they still believe Ellis is guilty, contrary to information reported to court personnel. Kelley denied that motion and Wednesday’s hearing took place as scheduled.

“He swore them in,” said District Attorney Tom Anderson. “They said they stood by their verdicts and he affirmed their verdicts.”

On Jan. 14, a jury, including the two individuals involved in Wednesday’s hearing, found Ellis guilty of two counts of rape in the first degree and one count of burglary in the second degree stemming from two rapes reported in March 2012. A sentencing hearing has been scheduled for Ellis on March 27.

 

Editor's Picks