Pike County receives $9 million in ATRIP fundsPublished 11:30pm Monday, February 4, 2013
Of the 302 road and bridge projects approved by the Alabama Transportation Rehabilitation and Improvement Program, nine projects were in Pike County.
“Everyone benefits from ATRIP,” Governor Robert Bentley said. “We’re improving public safety by replacing old bridges and repairing and widening outdated roads. ATRIP also helps create jobs. When companies build new facilities, they look for areas with good roads and bridges. ATRIP is giving them what they need. The more companies that build and expand in Alabama, the more jobs we’re able to create.”
The 302 projects announced Monday are valued at a total of $397.78 million.
Pike County will receive almost $8 million in ATRIP funds. The local total to be matched by the county is just under $2 million for a total project cost of $9,839,768.
Included in the projects for Pike County are resurfacing County Road 2238 from County Road 2243 to County Road 2290; resurfacing County Road 4404 from State Road 93 to State Road 130; resurfacing County Road 3316 from State Road 87 to County Road 7707; resurfacing County Road 7708 from County Road 7711 to County Road 7707; resurfacing County Road 6600 from State Road 223 to County Road 6602; resurfacing County Road 5513 from County Road 5516 to County Road 5511; resurfacing County Road 7702 from Montgomery County Line to County Road 7707; bridge work on County Road 6618 at Buckhorn Creek; and work on Enzor Road, Henderson Highway, Elm Street and bridge replacement on Elm Street.
“It’s a very good day,” said Pike County Administrator Harry Sanders, who gave much of the credit of securing funds to County Engineer Russell Oliver. “We are proud to know that Pike County is receiving a substantial amount of funding and we look forward to the improvements.”
Funding for ATRIP comes through the use of GARVEE bonds. With GARVEE bonds, Alabama is able to access future federal dollars to pay for road and bridge projects that are needed immediately. ATRIP road and bridge projects require local matching funds of 20 percent provided by either the local government or through a local public-private partnership, with the remaining 80 percent provided by GARVEE bonds.
Since ATRIP started, more than $613 million in projects have been approved.
“As a member of the ATRIP Advisory Committee, it’s gratifying to see counties and cities working together to promote progress and improve roads and bridges,” Lieutenant Governor Kay Ivey said.
“Under Governor Bentley’s leadership, the approval of funding for this recent round of projects plays a vital role in the long-term economic impact of local communities and the state.”