Thomas Calhoun, owner of Troy Sport Shop, has seen a rise in the sale of AR, or Armalite, guns, pistols and ammunition. The AR guns are semi-automatic or fully automatic firearms.

Gun sales strong in fear of government mandate

Published 11:00pm Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Across the nation, guns and ammunition are flying off of store shelves at near record levels, and Troy is no different.

Since the incident at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. last Friday, sales of handguns and AR ammunition have been strong at both Troy Sport Shop and Dunn’s True Value Hardware.

Mark Dunn, owner of Dunn’s True Value Hardware, said that the recent surge in gun purchases is due in large part to the public being fearful of government action against gun sales.

“There were some fears before the election,” said Dunn. “And now with the recent events, our sales have gone up. We have had more gun inquires in the last three days than in the previous few weeks combined.”

Dunn also said that a recent customer purchased nearly $700 in ammunition, including a quick reload apparatus.

“People are a little scared right now,” said Dunn. “Ammunition is almost impossible to order, and we keep getting customers.”

Outside of the Sandy Hook shooting, two gun crimes took place in the state of Alabama over the weekend.

On Saturday, an early-morning shooting at St. Vincent’s Hospital in Birmingham left a gunman dead and three people, including a Birmingham police officer, injured.

In another incident in Oxford the same day, police shot and killed a gunman after a pursuit that began with a triple slaying in Cleburne County.

Thomas Calhoun, owner of Troy Sport Shop, said that he has seen a slight change from his normal gun sales.

“We have had a little change this year,” said Calhoun. “We are seeing more of a lean to the AR style gun and away from the hunting rifles. We aren’t selling more dollars worth of guns, just selling more guns. Or we were until we ran out.”

Gun control laws have been a hot button issue since last weekend’s incidents, prompting a response from President Barack Obama.

Appealing to gun owners, Obama said he believes in the Second Amendment and the country’s strong tradition of gun ownership. And he said, “The vast majority of gun owners in America are responsible.”

“I am also betting that the majority, the vast majority, of responsible law-abiding gun owners would be some of the first to say that we should be able to keep an irresponsible, law-breaking few from buying a weapon of war,” Obama said.

Obama has created an administration-wide effort to create the new recommendations and also pledged to push for their implementation without delay. The effort will be headed up by Vice President Joe Biden.

• patriot2009

I know I will have anti-gun liberals chastizing my comments but here goes: Our government leaders must get real concerniing these tragedies and use good judgment when searching for solutions to the madness. This article just shows the flawed thinking that exists even before any effort/action is considered i.e. “we should be able to keep an irresponsible, law-breaking few from buying a weapon of war,” Obama said. In more than 50% of the terrible incidents in the past few weeks, the weapons were stolen!!!! In Newtown, Ct., Lanza killed his mother and literally stole here weapons. What good is a law that, from the start, contains such a flaw as to render it useless and un-enforceable ? With gun ownership, the firearms owner must assume a high degree of responsibility that goes along with possessing a weapon. I personally own 2 semi-automatic assault type rifles, I bought 2 gun safes, 1 for the long guns and 1 for handguns and ammo (maybe as a pre-requisite for purchasing a weapon as those discussed by President Obama)that there is a requirement for a gun safe and a verification by law enforcement that the gun owner is serious about the responsibilities that come with owning these “assault” type weapons. Let’s get serious, most of the gun-lock devices that come with the weapons is usually one of the first items (along with the safety manual) that is discarded. This is a serious complicated issue. Mental health must be addressed, soft target “hardening” must be addressed, education, training, co-ordination between citizens and law enforcement must be improved along with contingency plans and effective/simplistic practice drills done realistically and often just to briefly touch on a “few” areas (and many more) that should be addressed. And after all is said and done, there is no guarantee that these tragedies will stop !! What we don’t need is a flawed plan such as the last assault weapons ban that was full of loopholes and so vague that it was nothing more than a political effort that satisfied a few lberals and accomplished almost nothing to wit The Columbine School Massacre occurred right in the middle of the so called ban. The criminals and the crazies don’t care about gun laws. New York, Chicago and Washington D.C. have some of the toughest gun laws in the nation along with some of the highest firearms murder rates to boot !! Lets get down and get real about ways to slowdown the madness(note I did not say stop the madness) that is impossible to accomplish. Lets have some rational people work on some realistic methods that are truly workable to stop punish those who commit these unspeakable acts, not law abiding citizens exercising their Constitutional Rights. Real solutions are needed, not the same old smoke screens and political rhetoric that have failed us in the past. So after reading my “brief dissertation” how about some real workable suggestions instead of crucifying me, assasinating my character and harping on the same tired old methods that do not work. Thanks

• Aborted

I don’t care how many guns a person owns or the types. I will say again “people are too eager to kill and gloat in killing others”. I use to have a “bad boy” attitude too, but I realized Jesus knows what I feel and thinks. Jesus sees and has seen us all. I am an NRA loving man too, but I really don’t want to take somebody’s life, if I can avoid it. It’s Christmas, we should be celebrating Jesus Christ not mourning love ones. If you eagerly kill another man, you are no different from any mass killer. It’s all bad makeup and evil.

• patriot2009

People who want to eagerly kill will find an instrument to carry out the act. Don’t preach or insuate that I have a “bad boy” attitude. I carried some very powerful weapons as part of my job for 30 years serving the people of Troy. I went to mant terible incidents and placed my life on the line many times for people like you. I drew my weapon several times, I came very close on two occasions and could have justifiably took the lives of two people. But, I did not kill anyone. So, if that is your definition of a “bad boy attitude” so be it. You need to realize that wishful thinking and good Christian values is a good foundation but there are just too many guns out there. If we could “hypothetically” ban them all, the criminals can easily get them from Mexico etc. Gun laws are for law abiding people and used for punishment after the fact. The murderous criminals are not and will not obey gun laws in the future. So, having the foundation in place, we need the bricks, mortar, wood and hard work. We must take a realistic PROACTIVE approach to dealing these maniacs. Real action like armed police in each and every school and all seasonal “soft targets” just to start and guess what?? That could be ordered and in place when schools re-open after the Holidays. The Israeli’s put armed police and security on each street corner and in soft targets to protect from suicide terrorists attacking their citizens. IT WORKED !!! THE ONLY THING THAT WILL STOP A BAD GUY WITH A GUN, IS A GOOD GUY WITH A GUN ! In the real world, note, I said REAL WORLD, real solutions must be addressed. If you can guarantee me that if I give up my weapons (I use in defending my home, my family and my business), that the criminals will give up their guns..then I am all-in with you…IN THE REAL WORLD that is not going to happen..get realistic and be part of the solution, if not then you might be part of or contributing to overall problem. I think you and I are not so different in our moral and Christian values, we just have different approaches on how to solve the problem. You seem to be a person that believes in God and that Jesus died for our Sins. So do I !! But we have got to get tough and get real. More pieces of legislative paper and ink has not been effective and is not the answer. I value your opinion so Merry Christmas my friend and have a safe New Year.

• Observer

Certainly it would be a safer, happier world if in an emergency we could count on Police to appear within seconds when they were needed. But, anyone who has had an emergency and called the police (any police department, anywhere) knows how long those minutes are between the time they started dialing the phone, reported the incident, responded to questions from the operator, the operator called a patrol officer and finally the police were on their way. It is entirely a matter of chance whether a police officer is within one or two or ten minutes of being able to help – - those minutes seem like hours.

In school situations it is even worse. Say a gunman appears on campus and starts shooting. Someone has to get a message to the office where the office worker (frequently a student) has to digest the information and decide whether to call the police or wait for an administrator to come by and ask for permission to call the police. Every second that elapses can be one or more gunshots.

Police on campus are fine, but make easy targets. Responsible, trained, adults should be armed (as is the case in some Texas schools). Assuming that schools do not employ mental cases most employees would qualify – teachers, counselors, custodians, bus drivers, lunchroom workers, etc.

Nobody who is anxious to shoot somebody should be armed. What you need to look for are people who are not anxious to shoot but who would be willing to do so if necessary to protect children.

• patriot2009

Blood: You raise some good points but you don’t come to the table with any solutions or ideas. You are right about the school officers being targets etc and the time lag due to a reactionary law enforcement system, So, what do you suggest ? There is no perfect answer to the probem because this is an imperfect world and the killers have imperfect minds ( mental flaws to the Nth degree). Hence, some of the ideas I wrote about is doing something(s) and some of those things are based on tried and proven tactics. Let’s not sit idly by and wait for someone else to do it (especially bureaucratic gov’t officials, many of whom are are suffering from a disconnect with societal values and spend too much time on political correctness). If a crazed gunman goes to my grandchildrens’ school, I don’t care what the mentality is of the person that takes him out and prevents or stops his killing spree. So it is better not to be an armchair quarterback or be focused on being judgemental of people but do some thinking and bring some IDEAS forth to fight this curse we face today (or a little less talk and a lot more action) and take the first of many realistic steps needed to bring things under control. I have enjoyed the exchange of ideas with you but getting kind of busy here at the stores I will have to end our exchange for now. Merry Christmas

• Prophet

The best protection for public schools is to make public schools private.Take the foolish government bureaucracy out of the equation. Place those decisions at local levels where the people are familiar with local details. It’s not a one size fits all. Policies that might be appropriately applied in Detroit might not be the best policies for Troy or any other schools.Gun control is certainly not the answer. Get rid of some of those worthless students and cut back on those worthless teachers and schools can afford to pay armed security guards.

• Observer

Prophet: Because of the way schools are financed, any loss of students (by getting rid of the worthless ones) results in a reduction of funds for hiring teachers – thus ridding a school of worthless teachers and students does not free up any money to hire armed guards.

However, if given the option of paying fewer teachers less money were available the local school administration would spend any savings hiring more football coaches, giving them more raises, and recruiting more football players.

If reducing the number of students did not cost the system money, you can bet they would already be chasing students away in hopes of dropping to 3A where they would hope to win a championship at the place “Where Champions are Made”.

• Prophet

Observer your point is well stated and i concur. Education centers moer around sports than academics these days. The schools would lose the title I funding but they would still get local and state revenue.The number of students wouldn’t affect that. Then they could get rid of about 10-15% of the worthless students and actually be better off financially than they are now. But you are correct that schools shoot for the highest number of students in order to get more funding. They dont care if many of those students pull academic achievements down for the kids that are willing and capable of receiving an education. It’s all about the money , not the kids !