Obama wins nationally, loses in Pike Co.

Published 11:21pm Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Before the presidential race was called, Pike County Republican Chair Thomas Haigh said he felt the votes were neck and neck.

Early on, Alabama was declared a Romney state, which was no surprise to Haigh.

“I think people in Alabama tend to vote based on moral issues,” he said.

In Pike County, 6,009 people cast their vote for President Barack Obama and 7,939 voted for Republican Gov. Mitt Romney. Fifteen votes were cast for Virgil H. Goode Jr., Gary Johnson received 76 and Jill Stein garnered 16 votes.

“It sounds like it is split pretty evenly between Obama and Romney from what television stations are reporting,” Haigh said about 9:30 Tuesday night. “It’s just a question now of who got out to vote on the West Coast.”

Less than two hours later, Obama was declared the winner by many TV networks as he claimed California, Oregon and Washington.

Obama was re-elected to a second term, defeating Romney in a hard-fought race in which the economy was the dominant issue. Obama captured battleground states including Ohio, Iowa and Colorado on his way to the 270 electoral votes he needed.

Romney unsuccessfully campaigned on the theme that his business background gave him the experience needed to guide the nation out of tough economic times.

Before the national race was called, Pike County attorney Joel Williams said he was baffled by how naive voters seemed to be.

“What I find interesting with this election is the lack of substance,” Williams said. Voters on both sides of the political spectrum just seem to accept statements from these politicians without analyzing what’s being said. In many ways, the voters are going to get exactly what they deserve, whoever wins the election.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

• Godnme

@Robbyn To my dismay, this morning I held The Messenger in my hands to view what I felt was “front page worthy” national news–the re-election of President Barack Obama. Regardless of who won the presidency, I considered the presidential race to take priority over Scarbrough winning the county….then afterthought…Obama wins presidency. I know this is a local paper, but to not even have a picture of our President on the front page seems to be an intentional omission. To fail to recognize the President with due respect in our local paper resonates the ignorance that plagues southern communities.

• shalom voice

Godnme, I agree with you 100%, and I believe that many people have taken notice of this very apparent omission. Thank you for raising the point. I actually had to search this site to find this article because I could not let myself accept that the online version of the local paper would not include any word about President Obama’s re-election. Note that I also read what Robbyn wrote in response to you.

• http://www.troymessenger.com Robbyn Brooks

Shalom Voice,
        I have to give you and our other online readers an apology. Until your comment, I didn’t know that our national election story wasn’t showing up. There was a glitch of some sort and a few things we posted in the last day or so weren’t recognized as being “uncategorized”. I’ve gone through and fixed that issue, and you should be able to see the headline on our main page now. Thanks for bringing it up!
        ~Robbyn

• http://www.troymessenger.com Robbyn Brooks

Godnme,
    We agree on one thing. You are correct, President Obama’s re-election was front page worthy news. That’s why it was on the front page, above the fold. That’s also why we stretched our deadline out until the race was called and why some of the staff here didn’t reach their homes until close to 1 a.m. Obama’s re-election was that newsworthy. I regret you feel we did a disservice to readers and the President by not including his photo. In hindsight, sure, it would have been nice to have included a photo of all candidates. However, we are a local newspaper and most of the content and photos you will see are locally-produced. I do take a little offense to your assumption that not including a photo was an intentional snub, that this paper doesn’t respect the office of the president and that we are somehow plagued with ignorance due to the lack of a photo. While Pike County residents and Americans were glued to television stations all night, those stations reported Obama’s win. National newspapers did the same thing on their websites and in their print editions. However, the one thing we at The Messenger do that those outlets don’t is report on what is happening in Pike County. The most talked about race in the county and the only countywide contested race was that of Circuit Clerk. We led with what happened in Pike County Tuesday night while including a nationally newsworthy story with a Pike County angle. Again, I regret your disappointment, but did want you to know the omission of the President’s photo was not the intentional snub you believed it was. As always, please write or call when you have questions or concerns.
    Best!
    Robbyn

• Godnme

Thank you for your response and for correcting the oversight of placing this article where it was difficult to find. Yes, it “would have been nice to have included a photo of ALL candidates”. However, to have President Obama pictured and addressed with due respect on the front page of our local newspaper would have been proper…He is just the President of our nation, including Pike County residents. The Presidential races are MAJOR discussion issues throughout the nation every four years. To couple Scarbrough’s win with and before President Obama and to head the only article “Obama wins nationally, loses in Pike Co.” was simply not what many of US Pike Countians expected.

• http://www.troymessenger.com Robbyn Brooks

I can certainly understand that, and I am glad to know you visited this page again to see my response. I felt it important for you to know any perceived disrespect was not intentional. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Robbyn you know some are going to find fault with what ever the paper does.I for one have seen his face enough on TV and I read the Messenger for local news.
    Keep up the good work.

• http://www.troymessenger.com Robbyn Brooks

Thanks WDM,
      We really do try to cover as much local news in the fairest way possible, so when someone doesn’t agree with how we’ve handled something I want to try to address that, even if we don’t see eye to eye. It is very important for me to make sure readers know we hear their concerns.
      Happy Thursday!
      Robbyn

• Truthhurts

It’s President Obama Ms. Brooks. As journalist or newscasters, people should always address him or her by their title.

• http://www.troymessenger.com Robbyn Brooks

Newspaper journalists use something called the AP Style Guide when writing. It unifies abbreviations, titles, capitalization, and the like. One example would be that AP Style dictates to abbreviate months only if they are accompanied by a numerical date, such as Nov. 8, 2012. Until 2008, newspapers only used the last name of a president after his title. So until that time, a story’s first reference to the president would have been “President Obama.” Now first reference is “President Barack Obama” and subsequent references are simply the last name.

• Prophet

He’s just plain obama to me and i never capitalize his name. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

• Harry

Robbyn I don’t feel you owe anyone an opology. With all the attention given this election and with the coverage given it on TV why does someone think they must see a picture of the president on the front page. I am far more interested in the local and state news than national and from the votes I think most people feel the same. Please continue the fine job your doing and most of us can read so we don’t need pictures to tell us the story.

• ballbuster

who gives a #&*%

• OldSchoolPike3Worker

President Barack Hussein Obama, the 44th President of the United States of America. The greatest president this country has seen since, Bill Clinton.

How is that?

• OldSchoolPike3Worker

Isn’t Joel Williams a Democrat?

• Aborted

Is the Troy Messenger still owned by Boone Newspapers, Inc.?

• Prophet

Godnme would you mind telling us readers what achievements obama has accomplished that garners respect? Maybe expanding the national debt by 5 trillion?

• Trojan97

Why is it so important to have photo of Obama on the Messenger? Is it that we don’t know what he looks like, or is someone upset because they want to spike the football? I’m sure there is a photo of him on your wall right above that picture of Jesus if you want to see him.

• shower curtain ring guy

Bring back jimmy carter!

• Jack Bauer

As a black man, I must say that I didn’t vote for President Obama because I am a Christian. I could not vote for a man that supports abortion, gay marriage or empowering people that choose to live off the government versus working for a living. I don’t like Romney either, but I went with the lesser of two evils. Plus I have family in the military and can’t support a man that left Americans out to dry in Benghazi. Anyway, he is less black that most whites I know. As Chris Rock pointed out, he was called Barry for most of his life so he is def as white as it gets!