Home invasion suspects request youthful offender status

Published 11:00pm Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Two people suspected of aiding in a violent home invasion back in March now have hearings scheduled to be considered for youthful offender status.

Deanna McLeod and Parrish Bean were both 20 at the time of the crime.

They are each charged with one count of first-degree burglary, two counts of first-degree robbery, two counts of attempted murder and one count of murder.

Police say they have evidence the two were accomplices in a home invasion on March 5 that left a Troy couple with knife wounds that required surgery and the man who kicked in their front door wielding a shotgun dead.

Police have testified in court that both Bean and McLeod told officers they knew Thomas White [the deceased suspect] had a gun and was going to commit a robbery. Police also relayed that they have cell phone records connecting McLeod to White at the time of the crime and that Bean and McLeod told officers they drove White to an intersection near the crime scene and waited to retrieve him.

According to police, residents at a Martha George Hall Drive home were awoken about 1:06 the morning of the crime when White kicked in the front door of their home. He assaulted the homeowners and demanded money, car keys and other items.

When the incident escalated further, police say the couple fought back until lawmen arrived on scene. White later died from his injuries.

Under Alabama Code, anyone involved in a crime that leads to a death can be charged in that death.

Court records show McLeod had a bond reduction hearing on Oct. 24, but no decision has been made in that request. She is scheduled for a youthful offender hearing on Nov. 6. Jury selection in her trial is set for Nov. 7 and a trial could begin as early as Nov. 8.

Bean’s youthful offender hearing is set for Oct. 30 and he is not yet scheduled for trial, according to court records.

Bean and McLeod are being held in the Pike County Jail on $420,000 bonds while they await further court proceedings. Both have entered not guilty pleas.

• Southernboy

If they were “mature” enough to be involved in the crime, they should suffer the full consequence of their actions.

• Trojan97

What a bunch of BS!

• SMH99

Youthful offender should only be available to CHILDREN under 18 and only when the crime is not a felony. WOW so many adults in their 20′s that get caught want to throw out the Y.O. defense it’s crap.

• whatsupdoc

If they knew he had a gun (which the report said they did), then there is no way a judge should be allowed to grant youthful offender status for a couple 20 year olds. I don’t care how many tears they cry.

• troytrojan

Are you kidding me? If only people knew there were consequences to their actions and those consequences were actually enforced. Those three were mature enough to have a gun and use it (or know about its use) in a violent crime that forever changed the lives of those they invaded. Will that couple be able to plea something to make it disappear forever from their memories?? Complete and utter absurdity. Those two will do it again and prove to others that you can get away with crimes and not pay the consequences. It is a slippery slope.

• Mook

Youthful Offender doesn’t mean they won’t serve any time, it means they could possibly get a less sentence and if granted YO if someone (in the future) would look at their criminal record it would show YO and not the actual offense. I do agree that maybe they shouldn’t get YO because I feel as if they have done this before but this time didn’t turn out like they expected it to. I also feel the “victims” knew this guy, they had some kind of dealing with him before in my opinion. Nevertheless, a life was lost and people were hurt and all of this was so unnecessary and senseless.

• Aborted

I agree with Mook. It is too odd, but we are not investigators. There is no reason for the police to be apathetical or bias in this case. We must trust them to do their job just like we trust doctors, nurses, and so forth. A Higher Being “God” is always watching all of us.

• Aborted

I tried to ABORT those comments.

• SKEET

First of all, Robbyn, awoken is NOT a word (just shows what we’re dealing with). I’m so sick of “yall” trying to make the Black people the villains. It’s clear to everybody, except “yall”, there was a connection between the Black people and the “victims”. If Thomas kicked in a door with two dead bolts, then his foot should’ve been at least bruised. IT WASN’T! You damn right I’m related to Thomas, and I’m going to defend his name. So what! They aren’t tellin the whole story! The ONLY reason I haven’t put it all out there is because I’m trying to spare Thomas’s mother some pain. Robbyn is friends with the “victims”. Of course she’s going to try to make them look innocent, but that’s ok.

• http://www.troymessenger.com Robbyn Brooks

SKEET,

Awoken is the past participle of awake.

The information in all of the reports about this incident has come directly from police and from testimony in the courtroom.

When Bean and McLeod testify as part of their trials, that information will be included in articles.

If there is anything that you feel that is being reported and was not said by police or in the courtroom, please do let me know and I am glad to double check.

No member of any family has come forward with different information, or to be included in any report. If someone would like to do that, on the record, I will be glad to listen and include their feelings. Those statements must be accompanied by a name though. It can’t just be a phone call telling me they feel someone is innocent.

Nothing in these reports is anything I think or feel. That would be an opinion piece, such as a column. This is strictly information presented, so far. When other information is avaialble to me, it will be in the paper, equally.

-Robbyn

• SKEET

@ TroyTrojan-you weren’t there, Robbyn wasn’t there, and none of the people running their mouths were there. Deanna and Parrish haven’t said a word. The only people we’ve heard from are the police and the MESSenger. I was in the courtroom! Deanna and Parrish didn’t say a word, as they were apparently instructed!

• http://www.troymessenger.com Robbyn Brooks

As I already posted above, when they do speak in court their side of the events will be reported, equally.

• abunchabs

I do not think they should be able to use a youthful offenders status. I personally feel they should have to sit and have their day in courts as ADULTS. Which I feel they are. At 14 you can request to have information with held from your parents at a doctors office… if you feel you are “adult” enough to do something like that well go ahead be an adult (from what I’ve heard it aint quite that easy), at 17 you can drop out of school without a parents consent… if you feel “adult” enough go ahead EMBRACE adulthood with everything you got, at 18 you are AN ADULT in most states, at 19 you can legally sign a contract and buy ciggeretes in the state of Alabama… uh being able to LEAGALLY sign a contract should be damn near enough time of being a youth to stand up and be a damn adult. I am only 19 but I dont feel they should be youth anymore. I know I don’t classify myself as a child anymore. I am growing up and I guess I’ve been taught better by my mama, my grandparents, the church, and the teachers AT GOSHEN HIGH SCHOOL to know that right is right and wrong is wrong and if I should do wrong I know the consequences! — JUST MYYYY THOUGHTS!

• Aborted

Today is 10/30/2012. Did Parris Bean get Youthful Offender? I sure as heck hope not… The judge needs to give him plenty of time to grow up. Anything less than ten years is injustice. He has a big debt to pay, and he can’t pay it with money.

• Aborted

Thanks Robyn, God knows its been hard, but I have not lost faith in God or the justice system.