Vienna
Nine teens and four adults representing Southside Baptist Church reently traveled to Belize for a mission trip. jacob Morgan, youth pastor, said the group members participated in a variety of activites. (Submitted Photo)

God’s work

Published 11:04pm Monday, July 23, 2012

Teens, adults travel to Belize to spread their faith

By Tyler Spivey

Some area youth are fresh back from Belize where they participated in a mission trip to spread the word of God.

“It was great,” said Jacob Morgan, the youth pastor at Southside Baptist Church.

Morgan said the youth group saw “good moments” while visiting the people of Belize, some who have never heard about God, he said.

The group participated in street evangelism, visited orphanages and nursing homes, and took part in Vacation Bible School at a local church.

Caleb Gray, one of the youth participants, said he was nervous because this was his first time outside the U.S.

“I was sick to my stomach when I got there,” Gray said. “After about the first day I was fine.”

He said the most special experience for him was spending time with a local Belize child named Isaac. Gray said that by the end of the trip, the child was referring to him as his “best friend.”

Morgan reported that the best experience for him was watching the church’s youth connect and really care for the people they met in Belize.

Morgan’s wife, Anna, said she was also blessed by the trip.

“God just really provided for us and made the trip really smooth,” said Anna Morgan.

“It was a great trip.”

Morgan said she “really enjoyed” going door-to-door in the foreign country and sharing the love of Christ.

“I would go back,” said chaperone Pam Edenfield. “It was very rewarding for me.”

Edenfield said she participated in an “eye-glass clinic” with a ministry from Canada where members of the church organizations handed out sunglasses and prescription glasses to people in Belize.

Edenfield said she’d urge anyone who is presented the opportunity to participate in a mission trip and that there are plenty of chances to go with churches in Pike County.

The trip was a weeklong event with 13 participants on the mission – nine students and four adults.

• Omelas

It’s good to know there are no souls needin’ saving between here and Belize! Otherwise, it might look like the trip was a feel-good excuse to have an expensive vacation on the Church’s dime.

• TrojanTau

Perhaps you are being called to mission work. If you feel the burden of unsaved souls, seek them out and answer the great commission.

• LateNiteLuigi

I agree with Omelas. Nothing like a vacation er, I mean mission trip to a nice destination. How about answering the Great Commission by serving in our inner-cities, etc? Or, is that too dangerous? ;)

• TANYAGRAY

This is directed to Omelas and LateNiteLuigi…Let me start my saying that my name is Tanya Gray and I don’t mind you knowing who I am. I’m not a yellow belly that likes to talk trash about people only when they don’t know who is saying it. Next, my child was one of these children that you are talking about and just for your information, these children raised EVERY DIME

• TANYAGRAY

that it took to go on this trip. so, before you start passing judgement on something that obvioulsy you know NOTHING

• TANYAGRAY

about, you may want to get your facts straight. If you would like, I would be glad to send you pics from this trip just so you can see that these children were doing EXACTLY what they went to do and while they were outside doing door to door ministry in the heat, you were more than likely sitting inside where it was cool JUDGING people. Yes, I’m sure there are plenty of people around here that need to be witnessed to but most of us have at least heard of Jesus Christ and had the opportunity to KNOW

• Omelas

“Yes, I’m sure there are plenty of people around here that need to be witnessed to but most of us have at least heard of Jesus Christ and had the opportunity to KNOW.”–Tanya Gray

Charles Stanley said it well, “If we rationalize our problems when He points them out, we will spend less and less time meditating because we won’t want to face God in that area of our lives.”

• TANYAGRAY

him whereas some of these people have never even heard of Christ. If you would like them to visit you, I would be glad to set it up. Please just don’t be so quick to judge!! Thanks, Tanya

• Omelas

It seems I touched a nerve. As they say, the scalded dog howls loudest.

Nowhere in my post did I pass judgement on anyone. I simply posted the obvious. There are plenty of souls to save right here at home, and hungry children and elderly people to feed with the money that was spent on an international trip.

I went on one week-long “mission trip” and volunteered to cook every meal for 25 people. My day began at 4:30 a.m. and ended at 9:30 or 10:00 p.m. when the dishes were clean. What I saw was that there was a little of God’s work done, and a lot of socializing and sight-seeing.

As for the money raised, it likely came from donations or the selling of overpriced junk that people participated in as a form of giving to God’s work. Personally, I think that the wise stewardship of such funds are something that we will all be called to account for at judgement.

Your suggestion for setting up visitation with me might not go as planned. While they were witnessing to me, I would question why they go to church for social gain, drive expensive cars, and live such material lives when those things are directly contrary to what Christ taught.

Those are my thoughts, YMMV.

omelas you are one unhappy person,

• Omelas

Unhappy? No. I just live in the real world and call ‘em like I see ‘em. I don’t see any benefit to sugar coating things.

“There is, however, a limit at which forbearance ceases to be a virtue.”–Edmund Burke

“The difference between my darkness and your darkness is that I can look at my own badness in the face and accept its existence while you are busy covering your mirror with a white linen sheet. The difference between my sins and your sins is that when I sin I know I’m sinning while you have actually fallen prey to your own fabricated illusions.”–C. Joybell C.

• Trojan97

“GO ye into all the world and preach the gospel” Jesus Christ!

• Omelas

Matthew 19: 21-23 (KJV):

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

What kind of car do you drive, and what kind of house do you live in?

Job 27:8 (KJV):
      For what is the hope of the hypocrite, though he hath gained, when God taketh away his soul?

• Gus

Omelas: What makes it ok for you to go on a mission trip but not these children? These children deserve an opportunity to “vacation” like any other person. However they decided to spend their “vacation” spreading the word of Jesus, which is more than most people can say! Just because they decided to go out of town or the country to spread the word doesn’t mean that they don’t do the same within their communities. There was no need in your sarcastic comment towards these wonderful children.

• Omelas

You will notice in my post that I only went on one mission trip. I went, naively expecting everyone on the trip to work as hard, if not as long each day, as I did. I learned a lesson from that trip that I will not forget. A little of God’s work gets done, and a lot of time is spent sight-seeing and playing.

That is not what I went on a mission trip for some seven years ago. I will not make that mistake again.