Victim shot in neck, police search for shooter

Published 1:26pm Monday, May 7, 2012

A fight between two men early Sunday morning led to one being shot in the neck and transported to a hospital in Birmingham in critical condition.

Police responded to a shooting about 1:45 a.m. at a business known as the Star Cafe on U.S. Highway 231 South, according to Troy Police.

The shooting, police say, was the result of an altercation between two black males at the business, but the shooting happened outside.

The shooter ran from the business and into a wooded area nearby.

The victim was taken to Troy Regional Medical Center and then transferred to Birmingham.

The investigation is active and anyone with information is asked to call the Troy Police Department at 566-0500 or the Secret Witness line at 566-5555.

• Invictus

Takes a real tough guy to shoot someone during an altercation. Whatever happened to the days of getting into an altercation with somebody and then just kicking the crap out of each other? Hope it was worth it, gonna be a long jail sentence because it sounds like attempted murder.

• Observer

Perhaps he was just, “standing his ground” as the law now allows. If you get into an altercation with someone who can kick your buttocks, just step back and start shooting.

• OldSchoolPike3Worker

We need to find out what the victim was wearing since everyone is wearing hoodies now after the FL shooting. What if the victim was some crazy person and wore a tu tu? Then everyone would have to “give props” by wearing a tu tu. Can you see Rev. Sharpton in a tu tu out there protesting? Now that’s a funny thought. Slim chance but I’m just saying.

• Jack Bauer

What we need is more money to educate our young brothers and sisters so that they will know that violence is not the answer. Some of our past leaders need to come back and give back to the community.

Also need gun + target lessons because I know he was trying to shoot him in the head and just missed.

• Cloud

@Jack,

I agree with the last part of your comment, but the first is only throwing money away. You can’t fix stupid regardless of how much money you spend.

• ohwell

How about Mamma AND Daddy teach their children right from wrong. And stop depending on the schools to teach them.

I know it is passe nowadays, but I knew that if I got a paddling at school, I could expect a butt whuppin when I got home, because they had mamma’s WORK number if she wasn’t home when they called.

But, of course, parents were more interested in correcting misbehavior than lawsuits back then.

• Prophet

In order to educate one must first have the innate ability to become educated.

• BH1880

Whites need to stay out of this. Apparently this is black on black crime, whether your intentions are good or bad it will be viewed as racist by some wishing to push their own agenda. You can not save the world.

• BLOOD

Robin Brooks has a fascination with black folk. She should seek out her own kind to write about. Her articles tend to promote racial discord. I am sure she can gather up some dirt in her own neighborhood. She could write more about the meth and cocaine trafficking or the domestic violence in her own hood. I am sick of all the racially goaded articles she writes. Robin Brooks, pick on your own kind. Seriously, could you write about the white on white crime for a change? Black on black crime is getting old, and it’s boring.

• http://www.troymessenger.com Robbyn Brooks

My “own kind” is the human race.

My job is to write about crime in the area and I take that seriously. The information the paper receives comes directly from law enforcement officials after crimes in Troy and Pike County.

I assure you, I don’t care if you are white, black, Asian, Hispanic, of mixed race or a little green Martian, if you violate the Constitutional rights of another person, the story will be in the paper and online.

I have been in this business for well over a decade and have worked in many media markets. I understand how to do my job and I will write about any man accused of kicking in the front door of a couple’s home while they are sleeping and threatening them with a gun, any man accused of raping two women in the same day, any man accused of shooting another in a public place, any man accused of armed robbery against a student…or any other person who commits a violent crime against another.

You can go up to the search function at the top of this page and look for other stories to see that crime reporting is equal opportunity here.

• Kelly

Oh, SNAP! (walks away while snapping fingers…) :)

• Prophet

Ahh he’s just mad because blacks commit the majority of crimes and he dont like it advertised. Theys likes to keeps that stuff on the down low .

• Prophet

Robbyn i have given Bloods statement a great deal of analytical thought since i first read it . I believe he is right. He told you to pick on your own kind therefore he is clearly admitting blacks and whites are different genus.
        I did become a little confused and i need some help with this. Since blood admits difference in genus and your “own kind ” is the human race was blood implying blacks are not members of the human race?
        This kinda reminds me of Einsteins famous riddle (which i solved in about 2 hrs) but this riddle is over my head. Can you help me out?

• Geez

@Blood:
      Ignorant comments like yours are the racial problem in this country, not some reporter getting her stories straight from the police.

• OhGoodGrief

Well, Blood, it’s like this. Don’t commit a crime and you won’t have to worry about being picked on. Simple as that. If you can’t handle your “kind” being “picked on” then help them stop living lives of crime. They make their choice. How in the world can you stand up for someone who was trying to kill another human being and project anger towards a person who wrote about it? I imagine the victim’s family would tell you to stick it and let her write about and (hopefully help find) who shot him.

• Prophet

I’m sure the lady writes about the most prevalent of news in society. If someone dont like the stories then the best thing they can do is prevent the actions from taking place .
      Her failing to write stories will not prevent the situations from taking place. If the facts are harmful to any person or race then it’s real simple—change the facts as they exist within that person or race.

• Mook

@BH1880, That comment is the most racist and ignorant comment I have read. How do you know what color the persons are that’s making the comments? A crime has no race. I would be more concerned with catching the person(s) who committed the crime rather than worry about what their race is. It’s people like you who gives any race a bad color.

• BLOOD

You are right. I assumed the perpetrator was black too, but the reporter never mentioned race.

Robbyn,keep up the good work.I like the way you stand up for yourself.It’s fools like Blood that makes his kind look bad.

• BLOOD

Seems like you did a little home work Robbyn. Good JOb.