controlling

Archived Story

Former Goshen coach arrested

Published 11:00pm Thursday, June 30, 2011

A former assistant football coach at Goshen High School was arrested Thursday on 14 counts sexual offenses involving minors.

Nicholas Jackson Daniel, 30, was indicted by a Pike County grand jury and arrested on eight counts of possession of obscene material involving a minor under the age of 17 and six counts for being a school employee engaged in sexual intercourse or deviant sexual intercourse with a student under the age of 19.

He was being held on $200,000 bond.

District Attorney Tom Anderson said the sexual offenses are alleged to have occurred on school grounds of Goshen High School after school was out for the day or on the weekend when no one was around.

The offenses involved two female victims, both of whom were students of Daniel at the time.

Anderson did not reveal the names of the students involved.

Anderson said the offenses involving sexual intercourse or deviant sexual intercourse with a student under the age of 19 are class “B” felonies, which are punishable with two years up to 20 years imprisonment for each offense and the possession of obscene material involving minors under the age of 17 are class “C” felonies, involving alleged pressed and general nudity that were solicited by Daniel via picture text and recovered from his cell phone.

“I would like to say, first and foremost that this was a culmination of an investigation initiated by the (Pike County) Sheriff’s office,” Anderson said. “The sheriff thought it would be prudent to involve the assistance of the Alabama Bureau of Investigation, because it was potentially multi-jurisdictional.”

Anderson said a student came forth with information, which led to the charges being filed.

“We hope that these charges achieve justice and additionally serve as a deterrent to any other school employee or educator who might be considering this type of conduct,” Anderson said.

Thomas said his involvement in this case began when he was contacted by a parent who was also a law enforcement officer.

“There had been some initial investigation in an adjoining county about Daniel and we immediately met with Dr. Mark Bazzell and informed him of what we had been told and he, then, placed Daniel on suspension,” Thomas said. “We relied on the ABI to help us conduct this investigation.”

Sheriff Russell Thomas characterized Daniel’s conduct as “disappointing and saddening” and said he did not expect it.

“We have a great school system here in Pike County and we hate to see this kind of thing happen anywhere, especially at home,” Thomas said. “It’s sad that something like this happens. We put the job and the safety of our children first.”

Thomas said the investigation has been both lengthy and thorough and he is glad to have Daniel “off the street.”

Bazzell, superintendent of the Pike County Schools, said he was disappointed in the situation.

“Naturally we’re disappointed that this has happened, but we’re pleased with the fact that justice is going to be served in this case,” he said.

Bazzell said Daniel was placed on administrative leave with pay March 1, when the first allegations came to light.

The school board voted in April not to renew Daniel’s contract, which ended May 27.

Bazzell said he could not comment on the investigation, “but we had no indication of a problem or we certainly would not have employed him.”

A press release from the Pike County BOE indicates that, at the time of his employment, Daniel’s State Department of Education (SDE) suitability report revealed he had cleared all criminal background checks including ABI and FBI checks.

Also, his employment verification dated Sept. 28, 2009, from Crenshaw County indicates he was a full-time employee who was non-renewed due to required personnel cuts but whose performance was “satisfactory,” Bazzell said in a statement.

Bazzell said the students involved in the incidents will receive support and counseling.

  • Kelly

    First of all, let me say that I get it; I understand that a 30 yr. old man should not be intimate with a 17 or a 19 yr. old girl. Having said that, it seems that these girls were sending him nude pictures of themselves on his phone… “sexting” him, if you will…. Then things progressed to actual sexual contact… Was it wrong? YES. Should he go to prison for 20 years? I say no. He should loose his job, and not be allowed to teach again, but I don’t think that he should have to pay such a high price because he was enticed by those girls… Come on; they knew EXACTLY what they were doing.

    Report comment

    • abc

      You can’t be serious! He is the adult, they, even though they are teenagers, are the children. Even if they did “entice” him, he should have gone to their parents and school administrators if he was completely innocent. I say lock him up and throw away the key! Disgusting!

      Report comment

  • Virtuous

    When adults feel they need/want to be sexually active with a child, they should find one of the old Cosby Show reruns. It’s the one when Cliff asked Theo to hang out with his best friend’s daughter to keep her company. Theo didn’t want to because he said she was only 12. Cliff told him she was a beautiful girl. Theo said, and I quote, “ALL I SEE IS 12″! Please, Please, Adults…STAY AWAY FROM THESE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!! All you should see is a child; messing with people children. Find an adult! What could a child possibly “entice” an adult with?

    Report comment

  • BH1880

    “The State Legislature recently passed Act 2010-497 making it a crime for any school employee to have any sexual relations with a student under the age of 19. A school employee includes a teacher, school administrator, student teacher, safety or resource officer, coach, and other school employee. Age of the student and consent is not a defense. So thus, the age of consent of 16 cannot be used.”

    If he was not a school employee and she was 16 or older it would be legal. This law was passed for a good reason and I support it. That being said, I check to make sure she is over 50. Jest can not tell any more.

    Report comment

  • Bulldogsbaby

    Going to address a few things:

    1) Some of these girls may not have been 17 or 19, they might have been younger. The law is under 19 that does not mean these girls were 19. And who knows if these are the only ones who have been victims? Maybe there are others who are afraid to come forward.

    2) No where did it say the girls started sending him the messages and enticing him. He could have very well been the one to initiate the contact.

    3) Even if the girls were the ones to “start” it, he is a THIRTY YEAR OLD grown man with a wife and small children. He knew better! What he should have done was immediately gone to his superiors and the girls’ parents and ended it right then and there. That would have been the ADULT thing to do.

    4) As a teacher he was in a position of power and he abused that power and trust of his students and the parents who entrusted their children in his care during the school day.

    So if he goes to jail for 20 years? OH WELL! He shouldn’t have done what he did to begin with.

    Also even if he weren’t a teacher, he could still be charged with statutory rape because in Alabama because according to 13-A-6-62 he being older than 16 years of age engages in sexual contact with a female 16 years or younger and is more than 2 years older than her, he has broken the law. It has also been amended that until age 18 unless the parents consent to the relationship, if there is more than two years age difference they can still press charges for sexual misconduct of a minor. I was given this info by someone in the field when a question was raised about a 16 year old girl and a 19 year old boy.

    And finally what is really bad is this could have all been prevented had Crenshaw County schools done what they should have and said he was dismissed for inappropriate conduct there instead of giving him favorable reviews because he was doing the same thing there!

    Report comment

  • Kelly

    Again, I completely understand and agree that what the guy did was disgusting and foolish. I just don’t see putting him away for 20 years because he fell for the temptations of these young women… He should loose his job, and be put on the sexual register. As 1880 above said, You can’t tell what age a girl is now… They all wear so much makeup that they look like models or something….
    He was wrong. There is no doubt about it. But the girls are not innocent either; that was my main point.
    By the way, I don’t have a dog in this fight… I don’t know anything about any of these people… What is the deal on this guy? Is he some good looking Casanova type? Are the girls “troubled” , etc.?

    Report comment

  • kc

    First and foremost parents send their children to school everyday trusting that the teachers, coaches and other school officials are there to educate their children as well as protect them for the few hours that they are in their care. Secondly this was a 30 year old man that is married and has children of his own. It doesn’t matter how much make-up or how they girls dress..when they are still in school they are children. They have not learned the ways of a 30 year old man and what the consequences of being with him will be. This man had an obligation to these kids and their parents to educate them, be a good example for them and help mold them into productive adults. Mr. Daniel’s was wrong and should without question be punished for his actions and if that includes prison time then so be it. I certainly doesn’t need to be around children..even his own as he has shown that he has no regard for minors. A sexual predator is out to fullfill his/her own needs period. Apparently he never thought about what this would do to his wife and kids. I am please that another child molester is out of our school system.

    Report comment

  • Kelly

    Ok, Ok, You win. Put the guy away…

    This may not be the proper forum to ask this question, but there seems to be quite a few responders here who are interested in the community. Did anyone see, or even know that this morning; Sunday, July 3rd, that the famous national news program “CBS Sunday Morning with Charles Osgood” featured a segment on Troy’s own John M. Long?
    I happened to be channel surfing and just by chance was able to see the segment. Why, oh why, was there no mention of this event in our esteemed local publication??????? (Yes, Messenger editors this question is directed to you) It seems that a “brush arbor” in Ariton got more coverage than Johnny Long’s interview on National Television.
    Awesome T.M., Awesome.

    Report comment

    • Bill_OReally

      1) Definitely not the right place to mention that.

      B) Where have you been? Everybody in Troy knew about the CBS feature on Dr. Long weeks ago. It was all over the news.

      Report comment

      • Kelly

        Opps.. My bad. Never saw or heard about it. Out of the loop, I guess… I don’t get the hard copy of the Messenger, just the online version.

        Report comment

      • Kelly

        B) Where have you been? Everybody in Troy knew about the CBS feature on Dr. Long weeks ago. It was all over the news.

        Ok, I asked all around yesterday at the fam b.b.q. and no one had heard of this event. I read the online versions of the T.M. and M.Advertiser each day, as well as The yahoo and google national news online. I don’t see the local (Montgomery or Dothan) newscasts very often, but do watch the national programs. So, whom is “Everybody” ?

        Report comment

        • Bill_OReally

          Everybody meaning every person except you and your family. But seriously, you are still dwelling on this? Really?

          Report comment

        • Bulldogsbaby

          Kelly, I won’t say “everybody” but I knew about it a few weeks ago but I read the hard copy in addition to online. I believe it was also in the Dothan paper and on a news website for one of the Montgomery stations. It was covered but sadly positive things usually get shoved to the back and forgotten about over more sensational news stories.

          Report comment

  • Kelly

    Ugggggggggggghhhh…..
    No, I’ll get back on my first rant:
    So, you can kill your little 2 yr. old girl, hide her body in your trunk for a week or so, then throw her in the swamp, party at the “hot body” contest, lie about the entire sordid situation, and walk free; BUT if some high school seniors send you some naked pictures you get 20 years. Really? REALLY? REALLY, BILL O REALLY?

    Report comment

  • boom

    This didn’t just happen, this has been going on since he was at Goshen the first time in 2006. It started then and I guess since he got away with it, he stared getting a little bolder in his actions. He is a grown man and should not for any reason have any relations of that kind with any student no matter how old they is. A school employee is suppose to protect our children and not prey on girls that are starving for attention. If it had happened to my child he wouldn’t have to worry about going to prison! He has taken the inocence away form these girls and deserves to be punished. The 20 years comes from the fact of how many times it happened and he gets time for each one. He didn’t just do it one time or with one girl, there were several incidents and he deserves what he gets!

    Report comment

Editor's Picks